Re: Brightness mode follow-up meeting

All--
  I have been just an observer the past few years as I don't directly work
with these APIs. I do work on user interface standards -- on power control,
and for lighting - and hopefully in future for displays (which will build
on the other two).

  20 years ago I wrote IEEE 1621, which was to codify our transition from a
2 power state world - on and off - to a 3 power state world, with sleep as
the intermediate state. This significantly to try to drive out of use the
word 'standby' which is inherently ambiguous.  The term 'wake lock' is
clearly consistent with the sleep metaphor.
  More recently (the past decade) I have been working on a standard for
lighting control (there currently are none directly on that). After much
consideration, I concluded that 'brightness' was the right underlying
metaphor for changing light levels, not 'dimming' as is common in the
lighting industry. You are again on the right track already.

  If this is relevant to any of your work, feel free to check out my web
page (below) and/or contact me.
  I am not aware that the W3C specifies information about UI elements, but
if it does, please point me in the right direction.
  Thanks,
--Bruce

--
*Bruce Nordman*