Re: Network Information API

> On 20 Aug 2021, at 5:31 pm, Yoav Weiss <yoavweiss@google.com> wrote:
>
> OK, that sounds perfectly reasonable. It also feels extremely similar to what Thomas is proposing % the spec & interface name. Would renaming those help from your perspective?

It's not a matter of renaming, it's a matter of nailing down the limited set of use cases. What I'd really like to see is Gecko and WebKit folks, together with the dev community/sites that need this, be like: "yep, X, Y, and maybe Z would be great things to figure out together."

Personally, what I'd like to see is ~3-5 different ways of attempting to solve those cases (e.g., here is solution X with an API, here is one with declarative <whatever> element or attribute, and so on...). That way, we don't become overly attached to a single solution.

If folks can spare a few minutes, Ilya has a great post + talk "retrospective at performance.now()", which I think is super relevant here (~20min mark) - around considering approaching these kinds of problems from different perspectives:

https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-native-media-optimization-and-basic-editing-support/4068/12