W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > May 2016

[minutes] May 12 teleconf

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 16:36:47 +0200
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-ID: <573494FF.1080703@w3.org>
Hi,

The draft minutes of the Device & Sensors Working Group teleconference
held today (May 12) are available at:
 https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-minutes.html

and copied as text below. Next meeting will be on June 2nd.

Dom


            Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

12 May 2016

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Dom, Andrey_Logvinov, Anssi_Kostiainen, Tobie_Langel

   Regrets
          Frederick_Hirsch

   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          dom

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Sensors API
         2. [5]Next meeting
         3. [6]Wake Lock API
         4. [7]Welcome & Announcement
         5. [8]Minutes approval
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

Welcome & Announcement

   Dom: TPAC registration has opened
   [11]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201
   6May/0027.html
   ... DAP will be meeting on Monday/Tuesday
   ... We have requested transition of Media Capture and Streams
   to CR; hopefully that will happen soon

     [11]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2016May/0027.html

Minutes approval

   RESOLUTION: Minutes from 14 April 2016 are approved,
   [12]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201
   6Apr/att-0032/minutes-2016-04-14.html

     [12]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2016Apr/att-0032/minutes-2016-04-14.html

Wake Lock API

   Andrey: I still need to address the privacy/security aspects in
   the doc; not sure what next step should be

   Dom: once we have the privacy stuff in, I suggest we start the
   wide review process
   ... this might give up more feedback, and if not, we shall move
   to CR

   Andrey: sounds good

Sensors API

   tobie: not much news since last time
   ... two specs: Generic Sensor and Ambient Light
   ... I'm waiting for feedback from the TAG on interactions
   between ambient light and sensor
   ... I should ping them
   ... I got very good feedback during the TAG meeting, with
   plenty good of comments (more examples, more upfront content on
   sensor polling)
   ... I'm planning to work these into the spec
   ... I've split up the generic sensor issue tracker into level 1
   / level 2 / future work to give a better understanding on where
   we're going
   ... Intel is implementing it in Blink, which has generated
   feedback and spec issues that we're discussing
   ... mainly around timestamps (do we need them? are they costly?
   what do they really mean?)
   ... I'm waiting for some of the privacy & security issues in
   the paper that Lukasz shared
   ... I would like to get specific issues raised, both on generic
   sensor and ambient light
   ... I'm not too concerned on these issues at this moment; it's
   the usual trade-off between new features and privacy

   dom: wide review schedule? device orientation?

   tobie: wide review - we might as well start now; mostly minor
   editorial changes to the spec
   ... the implementation is pretty much working - not shipped
   yet, but no specific issues encountered
   ... I understand that both Mozilla and Microsoft are interested
   to follow through
   ... on my end, I think it's in good enough shape for wider
   review
   ... the TAG has mentioned specific things they'd like to see,
   e.g. exposing sensors in workers

   dom: generic sensor & ambient light?

   tobie: yes; ambient light is a really small spec
   ... there are some specifics (e.g. privacy concerns); but
   otherwise, its content is mostly based on generic sensor
   ... the main concern is how the two specs work together, and if
   this is the right split up
   ... people need to read both specs together

   dom: earlier you had mentioned concerns about getting
   validation on the poll-type of sensors; where do we stand on
   this?

   tobie: I feel confident enough on this now, thanks to some
   polyfilling work I did which highlighted a whole bunch of
   issues

   dom: what about device orientation?

   tobie: the Android and iOS implementations of the Device
   Orientation spec are built on gyroscope, magnometer, and
   accelerometer
   ... the way these are combined can vary a lot
   ... the device orientation only provides a high level view,
   while the underneath platforms have the lower level sensors
   ... so I want to work first on exposing the lower level sensors
   (magnometer, gyroscope, accelerometer)
   ... I don't really have a timeline on this
   ... will let the group know when I can move forward with this

   <scribe> ACTION: Dom to start discussion on wide review of
   generic sensor & ambient lights [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-756 - Start discussion on wide review
   of generic sensor & ambient lights [on Dominique
   Hazaƫl-Massieux - due 2016-05-19].

Next meeting

   Dom: on June 2nd; will try to get an ICS set up by then :)

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to start discussion on wide review of generic
   sensor & ambient lights [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [15]Minutes from 14 April 2016 are approved,
       https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201
       6Apr/att-0032/minutes-2016-04-14.html

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 12 May 2016 14:36:52 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:08 UTC