Re: Web API for Health Sensors

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:42:26 +0200
To: Arpita Bahuguna <a.bah@samsung.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org, sanjoy.pal@samsung.com, Arpita Bahuguna <arpitabahuguna@gmail.com>, sajoy.net@gmail.com
Le vendredi 12 septembre 2014 à 15:59 +0530, Arpita Bahuguna a écrit :
> Some of us were pondering over the need of having Web API(s) for
> health and similar other sensors. With the growing presence of such
> sensors on smart-watches and such, we believe a Web interface for
> retrieving data from such sensors is required (especially for Web
> Apps).

I agree that it is an interesting growth space for APIs. There was a
recent discussion on this list on a more generic and more robust
approach to the development of Sensor APIs, which may solve at least
part of this problem space.

> Would appreciate the community’s opinion on the same. Also, if such a
> standard is already under development, could someone kindly point us
> in the right direction?

There was early discussion on this a few years ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Jun/0103.html

There was in particular interest from the Continua Health Alliance on
this.

I think it's probably timely to revisit the topic; I can imagine several
options for next steps:
* a Community Group
* documenting use cases in the Web & Mobile IG
* proposing this topic as an addition to the DAP charter (which we will
be renewing in the upcoming few months)