From: Peter Lanigan
Date: Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Subject: RE: LIaison from W3C Web&TV to STA about the Network Service
Discovery spec
To: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
Cc: "team-liaisons@w3.org" <team-liaisons@w3.org>, webandtv-chairs <
team-webandtv-chairs@w3.org>, "Smart TV Executive Advisor <
smarttv_ea@inventures.com> (smarttv_ea@inventures.com)" <
smarttv_ea@inventures.com>

 Dear Giuseppe, W3C colleagues,

Many thanks for your liaison e-mail of 17th April regarding Network Service
Discovery API. The Smart TV Alliance very much appreciates the chance to
respond.

The Smart TV Alliance expects to reference to the latest version of the
Network Service Discovery specification. Some of the considerations behind
this include:

- Security concerns are addressed in the specification; the API refers to
CORS but also allows whitelisting of non-CORS enabled devices.

- It incorporates different possible discovery protocols.

- There is no viable alternative that is simple to implement for
application developers.

- There are already some proof-of-concept implementations available (
https://github.com/canonresearchfrance/webkit-nsd-demo,
https://github.com/COLTRAM/nsd).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Peter Lanigan

Chair of Technical Committee, Smart TV Alliance

--

Peter Lanigan

Senior Manager - Standardisation

TP Vision Belgium - Innovation Site Bruges