From: ext Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org<mailto:jbrookman@cdt.org>>
Subject: TPWG Last Call announcement
Date: April 28, 2014 at 4:27:21 PM EDT
To: <chairs@w3.org<mailto:chairs@w3.org>>

Dear all,

The Tracking Protection Working Group has published a Last Call Working Draft of the Tracking Preference Expression specification last week, on April 24, 2014, [1] and we would like to ask for review comments from the following groups: Privacy Interest Group, WAI Protocols and Formats Working Group, Web Applications WG, Internationalization Working Group, and Device APIs and Policy WG. But, of course, we welcome and encourage other reviews.

The draft is available here : http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

Abstract of the spec:
“This specification defines the DNT request header field as an HTTP mechanism for expressing the user's preference regarding tracking, an HTML DOM property to make that expression readable by scripts, and APIs that allow scripts to register site-specific exceptions granted by the user. It also defines mechanisms for sites to communicate whether and how they honor a received preference through use of the Tk response header field and well-known resources that provide a machine-readable tracking status.”

Comments will be most useful in identifying technical problems with the TPE that might inhibit adoption, where the TPE fails to further goals of user privacy and user control, and whether the TPE creates or does not otherwise resolve dependencies with other technical standards, practices, or processes.