Re: Touch coordination, shape, size and strength

Hi, Binyamin–

Sorry, I missed this earlier...

I don't know the context here, so I don't know exactly what you're
commenting on. Have you seen the Pointer Events spec?

Here is the interface [1]:

dictionary PointerEventInit : MouseEventInit {
     long      pointerId = 0;
     long      width = 0;
     long      height = 0;
     float     pressure = 0;
     long      tiltX = 0;
     long      tiltY = 0;
     DOMString pointerType = "";
     boolean   isPrimary = false;
};

It doesn't support shape detection per se, but it does address contact
geometry via width and height (so, an implied rectangle), and pressure,
as well as multi-touch. All of this assumes that the device itself is
capable of these distinctions, of course.

It doesn't detect different materials (finger, gloves, foot, pencil,
etc.), because most screens can't make those distinctions (though some
can detect degree of conductivity of the touching item), but the
pointerType property [2] does allow you to distinguish between mouse,
pen, and touch (where it is known).

If you have other feedback, or want to suggest new features or reliable
ways of doing more detection, please let us know at
public-pointer-events@w3.org.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/#pointerevent-interface[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/#widl-PointerEvent-pointerType

Regards-