Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

13 Feb 2014


See also: IRC log


Anssi_Kostiainen, Frederick_Hirsch, Giri_Mandyam, Mats_Wichmann, Alexander_Adolf_(IRC)
Cathy_Chan, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux


<trackbot> Date: 13 February 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<mats> alexander from LG, sent mail to list couple of days ago


fjh: Thanks, not clear on participation status

Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 6 February 2014


RESOLUTION: Minutes from 6 February 2014 are approved

Network Service Discovery

Discussion held with WebAppSec WG, 12 Feb, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2014Feb/0029.html

raw minutes http://www.w3.org/2014/02/12-webappsec-minutes.html#item03

Proposal: Publish updated WD: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Feb/0026.html

fjh: rationale for publishing is that addition of CORs is a meaningful addition

gmandyam: does Chromium team know about CORs change, they filed bug, do they know about change

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to follow up on letting Chromium team know about CORS addition to Network Service Discovery [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/13-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-681 - Follow up on letting chromium team know about cors addition to network service discovery [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-02-20].

<gmandyam> Chromium discussion on NSD: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/HT0KZKuTLxM

fjh: changes can happen after publishing WD but want to be consistent with current state
... feedback on list http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Feb/0022.html , http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Feb/0024.html
... defer discussion to list, want to include Rich
... plan to go ahead with publishing WD after talking with Rich, editor. No CfC needed.


LC 3 published, see http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-vibration-20140211/

ends 4 March 2014

thread on public-web-mobile, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2014Feb/0016.html

anssik: seen this, nothing we need to do

… can emulate strength with existing API

… so no need to add such a feature

… have already replied so this thread is finished

fjh: sent message to chairs list, included HTML and WebApps WG for review, included Anne in cc list

… if anyone else needs notice please share information with them

… assume we will go to CR after LC

Network Information

fjh: Publish as Note? I would prefer to first update as we’ve discussed for a publication even as a Note, since it has more agreement than previously published version thoughts?


anssik: need to capture status

fjh: right, but want to update the draft
... will respond to Mounir about updating the draft before publishing it as a Note

Action Review


<trackbot> ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Work on test cases for battery, vibration, and HTML Media Capture -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523

fjh: pending actions to close

close ACTION-679

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-679.

close ACTION-680

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-680.

HTML Media Capture

<anssik> https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus#HTML_Media_Capture

fjh: example interop report http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/interop/xmldsig/report.html
... more recent example http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-xmldsig-core1-interop-20121113/
... we might want to check with Dom for other examples, also thoughts on how to deal with tests involving UI interaction
... benefit of publishing a Note is that there is a clear record that is easy to share, not required to publish a Note
... another approach in web apps, http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/imp-report/
... approach depends on situation, number of tests, need for clarity etc
... usability matters so we should try to help there
... older example of web page, http://www.w3.org/Signature/2001/04/05-xmldsig-interop.html
... checked on our CR exit criterion - "verified two interoperable deployed implementations"


anssik: we have two implementations, test suite pending review

fjh: so this is work we might be able to move forward beyond CR soon?

anssik: we should work on progressing this one
... status update http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0028.html

… we can progress this one, also learn in process

anssik: perhaps we should take best practice from WebApps for going to PR

fjh: or we can take other approach, might be different. maybe we should get ideas from Dom as well

anssik: how does group end

fjh: when WG is no longer working on deliverables (we still have a number) then it can shut down or stay alive for maintenance, there will be choices but this is premature now


fjh: open issues relate to network service discovery, see agenda or tracker for details http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/open

… also one for Network Information


<trackbot> ISSUE-128 -- Need more description on how bandwidth should be estimated -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/128

Other Business



Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to follow up on letting Chromium team know about CORS addition to Network Service Discovery [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/13-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $