Re: Network info API

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:

> Mounir
>
> Thanks for following up on the Network Information API.
>
> I think it might make sense to update the Network Information API draft as part of publishing it as a Note.
>
> We’ve had a lot of discussion on the list, along with proposals, all of which seem to be in agreement that bandwidth in the current draft is problematical. If we do not change this, every time someone looks at the Note to see what happened they will revisit it and likely not remember the discussions.

Won't the note be empty?... just like we did with the other APIs that were recently published as Notes.

For example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/messaging-api/

I would expect the same for this API... all then normative text would be removed.

> I’d prefer to see us adopt a proposed change that we have rough agreement on and then publish it as a Note, reflecting the latest thinking.

Can I kindly ask we don't do this. I fear this will just confuse everyone - we need to clearly signal we are no longer doing this and not "leave a foot in the door".
> Concretely, maybe we should update to the proposal http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Dec/0003.html and then publish as a Note (which in the status can point to the email thread
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Dec/0001.html
>
> (the alternative is to simply publish a note shelving the current work as we did for the other specs recently. However, indicating in the status section the recent discussion might be as much work as updating the draft)
>
> Thoughts, all?
We have captured recent discussions in [1]. We intend to publish that as a Note too. We could publish them together and just get the spec to reference [1]. That saves us all a bunch of time.

[1] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/netinfo#discussion