From:   Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To:     Lisa Seacat DeLuca/San Francisco/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:     Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>, Device APIs Working Group
<public-device-apis@w3.org>
Date:   08/04/2014 12:10 PM
Subject:        Re: Vibration spec and Cordova integration update

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this update to the list - this helps reaching all WG
participants.

I’ve created a new Last Call issue for the Vibration Specification to
track this comment:  LC-2945  ,
https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-vibration-20140619/2945

I propose we resolve the issue as follows:

Change section 4 (Vibration Interface) Step 9.2  [1]

from  "If pattern is an empty list, or if the device is unable to vibrate,
then return true and terminate these steps.“

"If pattern is an empty list, a list containing a single vibration entity
with max duration of 0, or if the device is unable to vibrate, then return
true and terminate these steps.“

I would categorize this change as editorial, since having a max duration
of 0 could be interpreted as the ‘device is unable to vibrate”, however I
think a clarification could be helpful and be incorporated as part of the
process of creating a CR publication draft.

Thoughts?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP
@fjhirsch

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-vibration-20140619/#vibration-interface

On Jul 24, 2014, at 10:13 AM, Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldeluca@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Since we didn't have a call this morning I wanted to send out a quick
update on where we're at with the Apache Cordova spec alignment for
vibration.

> The IBM team has made all of the changes for test cases and code fixes
as well as documentation for the alignment issues identified.  These
changes should be included in the next release of Apache Cordova.  There
were a couple issues the team ran into that I wanted to bring up on the
list.
>                • Windows Phone - when a vibration duration value is
entered that is over 5000 the windows platform ignores the event.  Within
Cordova we will document this shortcoming.  If someone has a connection
with the windows team it would be interesting to get their take on this.
They might not be aware.  I would expect it to at least vibrate for 5000
and then not acknowledge anything larger if that is their intent.
>                • Vibration cancellation - The spec is very explicit
about what should cancel a vibrate. Which is either navigator.vibrate(0)
or navigator.vibrate([]). So what should navigator.vibrate([0]) do?  In
Cordova land we also treat navigator.vibrate([0]) as a cancellation.

> Would appreciate your thoughts,
>

> Lisa
>
> Lisa Seacat DeLuca
> Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |