Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

07 Nov 2013


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Anssi_Kostiainen, GIri_Mandyam, Tatsuya_Igarashi, gmandyam, JeanClaude_Dufourd, Cathy_Chan


<trackbot> Date: 07 November 2013

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

fjh: No call next week (TPAC) 14 Nov; no call US Thanksgiving week (28 Nov)
... Upcoming calls: week after TPAC (21 Nov), 5 Dec, 12 Dec, 19 Dec

RfC: Updates of the Technical Reports process; deadline November 27, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0158.html

additional git information http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0177.html

publishing moratorium information: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/Main_Page#Administrativia

<anssik> how about stable editor draft urls?

general discussion about approaches

fjh: proposal from Robin looks good: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2013OctDec/0029.html


gmandyam: rechartering of Geolocation happening

<gmandyam> Geolocation rechartering is proposed in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2013Nov/0003.html

<gmandyam> DeviceOrientation is also part of the proposed rechartering of the Geo WG

<gmandyam> There is also a proposed breakout session for TPAC regarding next steps for the Geolocation WG

<anssik> also relevant to this group is this breakout session at TPAC: http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2013/SessionIdeas#Second_Screen_for_the_Web

fjh: also relevant Web of Things, http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2013/SessionIdeas#Web_of_Things
... related to network service discovery

<anssik> any advice on transport from the airport?

fjh: W3C shuttles might be easiest

<cathy> re TPAC transportation, also see wiki from last time: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ShenzhenF2F20011

Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 31 October 2013 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/att-0009/minutes-2013-10-31.html

RESOLUTION: Minutes from 31 October 2013 are approved

Test Updates - Proximity, Light


fjh: Zhiqiang added some IDL harness tests and initial value checking tests for Ambient Light Events [1] and Proximity Events [2]
... what comes next?
... see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0014.html

anssik: this should now be fully aligned with specification but have not been able to review

… upon review can merge them

fjh: does this mean you have an implementation as well

anssik: cannot say right now about our plans

… not sure webkit implementation is shipping, Samsung people might know latest

<anssik> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus#Proximity_Events

fjh: I would like to get implementers looking at the test cases and see if we can get interop started

anssik: should probably check with Kihong Kwon

fjh: we need at least two real implementations to exit CR

anssik: vibration is turned on Chrome but not the others as far as I know

fjh: does it match latest, 2nd CR of Vibration

anssik: yes, it matches the latest (afaik)

… Gecko may need revision

… Justin Lebar has moved roles, so need to know who is working on this now

fjh: I'll check offline

anssik: I can check at TPAC about implementations and testing for Proximity, Light, Vibration

gmandyam: possible concern that device orientation may be changed to use promise based approach, yet some DAP specifications have not advanced.

fjh: Media capture TF has elected not to use promises

gmandyam: sys apps and web crypto have incorporated promises

fjh: right

gmandyam: issue is when promises will be stable and finalized

<anssik> btw. IE11 added support for Device Orientation Events http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/dn433240(v=vs.85).aspx

gmandyam: other issue is functionality of device orientation, do we need consistency?

… android also supports device orientation events

… this microsoft approach is argument against a change from the event method we use in DAP, already deployed



<trackbot> ISSUE-156 -- add the [Clamp] attribute to the argument of the vibrate method -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/156

fjh: decided to defer on list since the underlying specification is not stable

<gmandyam> To summarize: Changing DeviceOrientation from an EventTarget approach would likely by too large a change to be supported by implementations, given e.g. IE support for the spec as it stands.

close ACTION-670

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-670.


<trackbot> ACTION-670 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Review issue-156 and add clamp to vibration specification -- due 2013-11-07 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/670

Network Service Discovery

Updated implementation using promises, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0003.html (Jean-Claude)

fjh: Plan for PING privacy review in January
... Rich will participate PING review, others welcome
... we need to explain the spec, so anything we can do to clarify would be useful

<gmandyam> Frederick - have to drop out. Hope to see everyone at TPAC.

Also arranging security issues discussion with WebAppSec to be followed by review

fjh: this will be a call, not TPAC

cannot discuss without Rich on call

cathy: stuck on whether to go forward with device support

fjh: waiting on Rich to respond to that thread
... will ask Rich offline

Note publication

CfC concluded http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0010.html

<scribe> ACTION: anssik to prepare shelved Note publications after TPAC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0010.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/07-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-671 - Prepare shelved note publications after tpac http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-device-apis/2013nov/0010.html [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2013-11-14].

Other Business

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: anssik to prepare shelved Note publications after TPAC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0010.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/11/07-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $