Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

31 Oct 2013


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Lisa_DeLuca, Giri_Mandyam, Tatsuya_Igarashi, Cathy_Chan
Jean-Claude_Dufourd, Anssi_Kostiainen, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux


<trackbot> Date: 31 October 2013

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

RfC: Updates of the Technical Reports process; deadline November 27, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0158.html

fjh: more information on git is available, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0174.html

Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 17 October 2013


RESOLUTION: Minutes from 17 October 2013 are approved



<trackbot> ISSUE-156 -- add the [Clamp] attribute to the argument of the vibrate method -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/156

fjh: I think this is a good idea to add to our specification, suggest Anssi add this

<scribe> ACTION: anssik to review ISSUE-156 and add Clamp to vibration specification [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-670 - Review issue-156 and add clamp to vibration specification [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2013-11-07].

Network Service Discovery

Updated draft, https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/default/discovery-api/Overview.html

fjh: Rich summarized Mitigating router compromise, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0152.html
... proposed text for ISSUE-130, as part of ACTION-654: Propose text for network service discovery to define wildcard api and feature detection ; http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0157.html (Jean-Claude)

cathy: jean-claude enables wild card search, a good idea
... independent of the other discussion
... other discussion is to support UPnP devices rather than at service level

… initially I proposed adding search string for UPnP device type

… but we might want to change data model to device model, support UPnP devices naturally, problem is that in mDns there is no device concept

fjh: not sure it makes sense to create a dummy model when abstracting to obtain uniformity

cathy: works if we make device for each service in mdns, thus we can achieve device level for UPnP naturally, but also have it work for others

… need opinion from Rich for this

fjh: looks like we are near reaching a conclusion and consensus
... i would like to schedule a security review with WebAppSec and also a privacy review with PING but am waiting until the specification stabiliizes

… this change wouldn't be ready for TPAC (and WebAppSec is not meeting then anyway)

… so once we get the data model updated then I think we can start reviews

cathy: this should be a fairly big change

fjh: we have a scheduled slot for the privacy review in January with PING so it would be good to get these changes done in November if possible
... no more to discuss, need feedback from Rich

Proximity, Light Test update

no new information

Note publication

Updated CfC (ended 29 Oct): http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0130.html

fjh: we had agreement on call, no disagreement on list
... The CfC has concluded successfully so we can make these changes

Issue Review


<trackbot> ISSUE-151 -- USN should not be used as device identifier -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/151

fjh: this issue includes a proposal, status?

cathy: this needs to be looked at and agreed

fjh: need to revive this on the list

Action review


<trackbot> ACTION-666 -- Giridhar Mandyam to Check with internal implementers whether vibration api is consistent with chip capabilities -- due 2013-10-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/666

gmandyam: still working on this

Other Business

no other business

fjh: Upcoming calls: next week (7 Nov), week after TPAC (21 Nov), 5 Dec, 12 Dec, 19 Dec
... No call week of TPAC, 14 Nov, no call US Thanksgiving week (28 Nov)


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: anssik to review ISSUE-156 and add Clamp to vibration specification [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $