From: Rich Tibbett [mailto:richt@opera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:44 PM
To: Device APIs Working Group
Subject: [discovery-api] Adding user opt-in UI non-normatively to the spec

Hi,

Whenever discussion of the Network Services Discovery API comes up outside this group it is usually followed by some level of confusion on how 'user authorization opt-in' UI is intended to be implemented (i.e. how users ultimately choose the network services to share with a web page).

While it is generally a good idea for W3C specs not to dive too deeply in to UI specifics within specifications it may still be a good idea to add a basic opt-in UI/UX example to the spec in a non-normative annex.

The UI/UX suggestion that I'm proposing to add to the spec is:

http://people.opera.com/richt/release/specs/discovery/tpac2011_servicediscovery_ui_1.png

http://people.opera.com/richt/release/specs/discovery/tpac2011_servicediscovery_ui_2.png

These mock-ups can be updated as necessary.

Are there any objections to adding this as a non-normative annex?
Alternatively, anyone else have alternative UI/UX proposals we should include instead here?

Best regards,

Rich