Re: Content of URL picked by Intent

Thanks, Brett, this is really useful! Agreed that the use cases are
often distinct. It's easy to see this for images and contacts for
example -- picking a single image probably wants to be presented by
the service differently than picking multiple.

We don't want to have to change the API to support new use cases, so
invoking an intent is a single API call and we differentiate by action
and/or type. I'm reluctant to name this a different action because the
action signals the cross-type purpose of the activity. Thinking about
non-MIME type data, it seems like the best solution is to have a
different collection type for, say, multiple images (a "gallery" or
"album" perhaps) as opposed to a single image. This makes me think
that having distinct types for a single entity vs. a collection is the
way to go. That differentiates the intent such that services can
register for one or the other, and present different UI for them.

I think everyone is in agreement that using JS arrays for the native
type is the right solution. If the above reasoning is compelling, then
the remaining question is what to call the multiple selection type.