Re: [capture] keywords (was: Agenda)

On 21.11.2012, at 14.22, ext Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 11/21/12 12:48 PM, "Anssi Kostiainen" <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
> wrote:

[...]

>> My point is, it is hard to come up with a generic term that works better
>> than a term that is to the point most of the time. I'd argue a large
>> majority of today's image capture on web-enabled devices happens via a
>> camera, and not via a scanner or some other more niche image capture
>> device (just look at the EXIF data stats of your favorite image hosting
>> service). Given this, using "camera" as a keyword sounds reasonable to me
>> at least.
>>
>> Btw. historically, naming discussions such as this have not been very
>> productive.
>
> I must admit being slightly confused, here.
>
> If the goal is to enable more precise keywords in the future (such as
> "scanner", or "front-camera"), there's little point in arguing about
> making "camera" less specific. On the other hand if the keywords we're
> using today are meant to be all encompassing, then fantasai is right and
> capture should just be a boolean attribute that describes whether the file
> should come from a live source (camera, camcorder, microphone) or the
> filesystem. In this second scenario, the capture control type would be
> exclusively defined by the accept attribute.
>
> Maybe a note in the spec saying that this list of keyword can be extended
> in the future would help clarify this.

Tobie, thanks for nicely summarizing what I was trying to say :)

The spec clearly serves the former scenario, because the accept (+ the potential live boolean) tackle the latter. I added the following note to clarify this, feel free to suggest better wording, extend it with more concrete examples etc.:

[[

A future version of this specification may define other keywords.

]]

In line with this clarification, I renamed the generic term "A still image capture device" to a specific term "A camera" in the "Capture control type" column for the "camera" keyword.

Thanks!