From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin@berjon.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:32 PM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org public-device-apis@w3.org
Subject: Re: Drop work on DAP charter v3?

Hi Bryan,

On May 22, 2012, at 18:24 , SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
> I've tried out the Javascript QR code reader demos and it's true they kind of work sometimes on laptops, but so far I have not been able to get them to work on mobile phones. There are various complexities (e.g. Autofocus) that don't work well in current getUserMedia implementations for example, beyond that there are code translation functions that can't be delegated to JavaScript alone (at least for indirect codes), etc.

Yes, I am aware of these limitations. I was mostly pointing out the existence of JS options because it takes an extra notch out of the value proposition to charter just for that.

> For these reasons it is beneficial to have an API that can invoke a local code reader client which has been designed specifically for those functions. I am currently involved in discussions in the OMA on the requirements for such a Web Runtime API, and possible design approaches to integrate it with a HTML5 browser based UI. I would like to bring that discussion into W3C as soon as possible, so would appreciate the QR code reader API to be considered in DAP or the System Level API WG charter.

If that's the only thing that there is strong interest in for DAP, I'd rather not recharter just for that TBH. If you want it in the System group, please make sure to send your feedback during AC review (the charter is now out of my hands!).

That said... it's a silly idea but... how about just adding "qr" as an option for HTML Media Capture? Simple, straightforward, no reason it wouldn't work, and the returned file object just contains the decoded information. Thoughts?