Re: Sensor API feedback: OrientationData

On 03/07/2012 02:44 AM, Doug Turner wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2012, at 10:38 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> I'm very interested in getting feedback on this. Does anyone know if
>> keeping the sensors on matters at all battery-wise? Does it draw more
>> power if results are retrieved 60 times per second vs. twice a second?
>
> If it is on, it is on.  There, of course, is power associated with
> propagating the event from the sensor to the application to the java
> context.

I think something that would make a difference is if we can say to the
low level API that we want to be notified every X ms or when a there is
a change of at last Y. In that case, we would be able to prevent the UA
to be waken too often by sensors events.
If that kind of API doesn't exist and you can only set the sensors on
and off and give a callback to be called when there is a change, I
believe we should simply send the events to the content and let it
filter them. We can assume that the cost of the path between the event
going from the UA's system backend to the content is going to be small
enough to not care (wrt power consumption).

--
Mounir