Re: Retrieve device information in Network Service Discovery draft

Hi Jan,

Jan Lindquist wrote:
> Hello Rich,
>
> I enjoyed reviewing the latest draft “Network Service Discovery and
> Messaging”. My interpretation of the API is that it is strictly list of
> services provided without details of the device or “device descriptor”
> in UPnP terms. In the last example there is an example of how a drop
> down list of model can be used to select different devices. It is not
> clear how this is achieved with the given API since first attribute it
> simply “type”.

The user interface aspects of this proposal are intended to be handled
by the browser. When you request a service type the browser knows all of
the details about which devices implement that service and can provide a
UI to allow users to select a share a subset of those devices -
displaying the device name, icon, etc - with the requesting web page.

> My recommendation is to add a means to list the equivalent of UPnP
> device descriptor which includes information like friendly name,
> manufacturer, model name, model information, etc.

This is already supported via NetworkService.config. This returns the
full device descriptor for the currently authorized network service. We
are unsure if this is a strictly necessary attribute to expose on
NetworkServices. It is certainly not necessary for device communication
but it does provide some meta context (i.e. friendly name, manufacturer,
model name, model information, etc as you requested above) to the
service that has been provided.