Re: Request to move the test repositories to Github

On 8/15/12 6:27 PM, "Daniel Smith" <opened.to@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, like I said, it was just 2 cents worth, and as I am just an
>individual
>and not a representative of a company, I have no personal concern one
>way or the other.
>
>That said, "I'm sure" doesn't really meet the stringency of legal
>requirements,
>and I am sure that a lot of the companies I see represented on these
>lists,
>Facebook, Nokia, At&t, Microsoft (and other particularly non-unix or non
>totally
>open source versions of unix like Apple), these just in the past few
>days, well
>they may have a very great interest in exactly where and why the
>locations of
>hosting the code etc will be. Most also contribute a great deal to the
>projects
>and specs and I would think would be worried about possible conflicts
>of interest etc.

Possibly. In which case they are welcomed to raise an objection. I can
speak as Facebook's AC Rep. We have none and would welcome this change
which will give more visibility to W3C work, and hopefully better test
suites by lowering the barrier to entry for regular web developers.

>You're talking about potentially massive training and retooling costs
>alone for some larger
>companies, just for the people who as of now don't work with Git, in
>open source, or unix etc.

The current plan implies continuing to mirror the repositories on
mercurial, so the only people concerned with that change are committers of
which this group only counts 13. Half of which we know have a GitHub
account already.

--tobie