Re: Sensor API : New draft

See inline (below) -- I think that the difference is in the scaling that
gets applied to base unit. I would prefer to see that all the units are
base units (i.e. with no scaling). Otherwise I expect that when new
sensors get added, there will be arguments over what the scale factor
ought to be (with the probable result that scale factors will vary from
implementation to implementation). For example, how about a Carbon
Monoxide gas concentration sensor? I think it ought to return the amount
of CO in the air as a value from 0 - 1. Otherwise there will be people
who want to return parts per million and parts per billion. Gas sensors
are also rather slow to respond to changes in gas concentration. They
can take many seconds (more than 2 minutes in some cases) to return a
reasonable result. I don't know if this sort of lag time needs to be
included in the sensor attributes or is this the purpose of minDelay? If
so, then a 'short' in microseconds is not large enough to represent
these sorts of delays. I also note that the "interval" as part of
SensorWatchOptions is in milliseconds (and is a float) while minDelay is
microseconds and a short. I think that they ought to (at least) have the
same units, if not the same type as well.

On 11/23/2011 10:43 AM, Tran, Dzung D wrote:
> Philip,
> I think the current spec does specify most of the sensor data in its native format in section 7.1 as:
>
> An implementation must set the specific data type of the SensorDataEvent.data attribute in accordance with the following table:
> Sensor Type  Data Type  Units
> Temperature double degree Celsius (ÂșC)
No. Should be Kelvin
> AmbientLight double Lux
Yes.
> AmbientNoise double dbA
No. Sound pressure is measured in Pascals. I admit that dBA (note the
capital B) is more commonly used. Probably ought to specify the
reference pressure for 0 dBA.
> MagneticField MagneticFieldData micro-Tesla (uTesla)
No. The unit is Tesla.
> Proximity double centimetres (cm)
No. The unit is metre (or meter).
> AtmPressure double kiloPascal (kP)
No. The unit is Pascal.
> RelHumidity double
Interesting case. Normally reported as percent (in the range 0 - 100).
However, I suspect that it really ought to be reported as the fraction
in the range 0 - 1.
> Accelerometer AccelerationData meters/second^2 (m/s2)
Yes.
> Gyroscope RotationData radians/second
Yes
> Orientation OrientationData radians
Yes

4 are unscaled SI units, 4 are scaled. 1 (sound) unclear. 1 (humidity) TBD.

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone
Distinguished Engineer