Re: Network Information API published as FPWD

Hmm. This worries me.

This draft is mercifully short, but is also likely to be so simplistic
as to be less than useful.

The API is not able to represent:
- Boxes with multiple, simultaneously operational interfaces. This
occurs frequently with laptops, and is theoretically possible even on
Android.
- The operational state of an interface. An interface may be absent,
present-but-disabled, present-but-unconnected, or present-and-connected.
- Any handle to get more information about the interface.

This simplicity may be justified if the purpose is to designate the type
of interface that the device is currently routing packets out of in the
absence of specific other information (the default route), but then the
specification needs to say that this is what the API is supposed to
represent.

WRT to the multiple-online-event issue: For video-using applications,
the switch from online(2g) to online(3g) to online(wifi) is definitely
of interest as a trigger for reprobing available bandwidth.