Re: Contacts API concerns (RE: Draft minutes, 2011-01-15)

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Suresh Chitturi <schitturi@rim.com> wrote:

> Below.

While I'm not really in favor of a programmatic API at this point, the way
forward is for someone to step up to take over the Contact Writer
specfication here:

http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Writer.html

The issues with write paradigms are well known in this group (e.g.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jul/0112.html).
We did a lot of work over the last few months to arrive at a 'download and
save' model that works without overloading the asynchronous notification bar
concept of Geolocation. In fact, a definition of success for the Contact
Writer spec should be that it does not rely on an async notification method
of user interaction. It becomes messy quickly when a page tries to access
lots of device functionality simultaneously, all relying on such a
notification. That is not a case for policy frameworks but a bad design in
the first place.

If you feel like the Contacts Writer spec is the way forward, then perhaps,
Suresh or Daniel, you are willing to take over the editing of this
specification to document the programmatic write and save mechanism in a way
that works. I'm happy to let the market ultimately decide what works.

Does this sound like a good way to proceed on this?

- Rich