RE: [contacts] HTML Contact Sharing

Yes, of course, the user consent model is the same for both APIs.

So, Richard, which are the main differences in capabilities between the JS Contacts API and the HTML Contacts API, i.e. what could be done with the JS version and that could not be done with the HTML-based version?

Claes

From: Rich Tibbett [mailto:rich.tibbett@gmail.com]
Sent: den 27 september 2010 11:41
To: Nilsson, Claes1
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org; Isberg, Anders
Subject: Re: [contacts] HTML Contact Sharing

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Nilsson, Claes1 <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com<mailto:Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>> wrote:
Hi Richard,

Generally I like the idea of creating simple APIs based on HTML elements. As far as I understand your intention is to provide a simpler alternative for developers than the JS Contacts API. This HTML API will be usable for some use cases.

Comparing with the Firefox demo implementation of the JS API I assume that the use case covered by the HTML Contact API is the “Use Contacts to Personalize This Page” case.

Right.

The “e-mail autocompletion” use cases wouldn’t be possible to implement with the “Device-element” as a “selector”-button is required. Correct?

Autocompletion is a feature of the implementation. It could be provided by a UA on top of a page without the page itself needing to request this feature. i.e. it doesn't need to be specified in an API IMO.

Furthermore, in your example in Appendix A I miss user consent for approving the operation.

Consent is implicit. By selecting contacts to share consent is given in the same way as uploading a file works in the file picker. If I don't want to share I don't click to share or click cancel when the contacts UI widget appears.

Thanks,

Rich