Re: Widgets - WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures

Hi Claes,

I think the main thing that's missing from the proposal is context :)

With the advent of client side persistence solutions and ever increasing
device/browser capabilities, it's now possible to make 100% client side
js applications which run in the browser, everything from small games
and micro-blog clients right up to full document/image editors. There is
a strong shift in this direction from many corners of the web.

Currently application developers can choose between:
  (1) hosting the client side application on a 'website'.
  (2) creating a vendor specific 'extension'.

When really, what we all want/need is to be able to 'install' an
application which runs in the main browser context (i.e. can be used off
line, can be packaged as an application, can be signed, can contain an
access request policy).

You might think of this as cross between a Mozilla Prism, browser
extensions, widgets and traditional web applications. Universal web
applications that can run on any device.

To my untrained eye, it appears that virtually everything needed to take
a series of scripts & resources and wrap them up in a manner similar to
extensions is already spec'd out in the various widget specifications.
Everything needed to run the applications universally is already
provided by any user agent on any device that implements
js/html/web-apps/device apis.

Thus, the suggestion to scope using the widgets specifications as a way
to package all this up and give the world universal web applications
which run on any device and provided the needed
packaging/signing/access-request/update side of things.

Best,

Nathan