Re: feedback on The System Information API W3C Editor's Draft 05 May 2010

On 10/05/2010 08:44, Innovimax SARL wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Max Froumentin<maxfro@opera.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Mohamed,
>>
>> On 05/05/2010 19:29, Innovimax SARL wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear,
>>>

>>> Here are few comments with respect to
>>> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/
>>>
>>> 1) Why isn't the figure in 4.1 in SVG ?
>>

>> Because OpenOffice exports svg that doesn't render well in browsers. See
>> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/properties.svg
>
> Fair enough : Please find attached a bit ad hoc XSLT 1.0 stylesheet
> that fixes most of the problems

Added. Thanks.

>>> 2) Can it be said explicitely that the name of the Property (the
>>> property ID) is the same as the name of the Interface that the
>>> onSuccess function will get
>>
>> No, it's not always true. For instance, property AmbientLight (and all the
>> other sensors) are based on interface Sensor.
>
> Uhm...indeed. Ok but there is certainly room for clarification here.
> Dunno how for the moment.

Perhaps it would be better to call interfaces and property something
explicitely different? Like CPUInterface and CPU, respectively (or with
better names)?

>>> 2.a) in that case in 4.5: navigator.system.watch("Processing",success)
>>> ==>    navigator.system.watch("CPU",success)
>>
>> That's a mistake. I have fixed the example.
>>
>>> 3) Example in 4.7 feel strange in many ways
>>>
>>> // Find if the current connection is WiFi, and if so monitor its signal
>>> strength
>>> navigator.system.get("Network",success,null);
>>>
>>> function success(connection) {
>>> ==>    isn't connection supposed to be an array here ?
>>>    if (connection.type===connection.TYPE_WIFI)
>>>      navigator.system.watch("WifiConnection",wifiWatchCB);
>>> ==>    IS REALLY "WifiConnection" a Property ?
>>> }
>>>
>>> function wifiWatchCB(connection) {
>>>    document.getElementById(indicator, "Wireless "+connection.essid+" at
>>> "+(connection.signalStrength*100)+"%");
>>> ==>    essid doesn't exist : is it supposed to be SSID ?
>>> ==>    signalStrengh doesn't exist : is it supposed to be
>>> currentSignalStrength ?
>>> }
>>
>> I clearly haven't been keeping the examples up to date. Sorry about that. I
>> have corrected it to:
>
> Seems to be almost fixed, apart from the fact that connection is an array

The example was still misleading, here it is again, hopefully fixed
[[
// Find if the current connection is WiFi, and if so monitor its signal
strength
navigator.system.get("Network",success,null);

function success(network) {
   var active = network.activeConnection;
   if (active.type === active.TYPE_WIFI)
     navigator.system.watch("Connection",{id:active.id},wifiWatchCB);
}

function wifiWatchCB(connection) {
   document.getElementById(indicator, "Wireless "+connection.SSID+" at
"+(connection.signalStrength*100)+"%");
]]

>>> You probably need to watch all the connections to do what you expect here
>>>
>>> 4) In 4.8
>>>
>>> navigator.system.watch("AmbientLight",success, {highThreshold: 0.9,
>>> thresholdTarget:"normalizedValue"});
>>> ==>
>>> navigator.system.watch("AmbientLight",success, null, {highThreshold:
>>> 0.9, thresholdTarget:"normalizedValue"});
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>> 5) It's probably worth giving real example of values for attributes in
>>> 4.9 instead of MIDI or AVI for compression format and ogg for
>>> packaging format
>>
>> I have put H.264 and Theora for compression, and AVI and Ogg for container.
>
> Thanks: that really helps understanding
>

>>> 6) Most of the constants values need some rework: they are not all
>>> mutually exclusive (RAM and HardDisk, TouchScreen and Tablet) and
>>> there is missing values (Bluetooth for network))
>>
>> Indeed! Help greatly appreciated.
>
> Will try to monitor this part again next time I'll visit it
>

>>> 7) Printer could be added to the output devices list, together with
>>> braille reader and embossed printer
>>
>> Good point. Would you like to offer a list of properties for each?
>
> I would really like, but I fear I've already given what I found very
> quickly. Probably I18N will come up with more idea

I've added a couple of interfaces: BrailleDevice and PrinterDevice

Max.