RE: Birthday related attribute on Contact API

On 25 Mar 2010 at 20:38, Suresh Chitturi wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24 2010, Richard Tibbett wrote:
> >
> > On 18.03.2010 at 08:58, ÀÌ°­Âù [chan@etri.re.kr] wrote:
> > >
> > > In the Contact API, Use Case 7 may use birthday on the
> > > device contact
> > > information. Then, I can¡¯t find birthday related attribute on
> > > ContactProperties interface or other interface.
> > >

> > As a group we are still deciding on where to go with respect
> > to the 'ContactProperties' set we will be including. Right
> > now we have a small subset but I think we are moving towards
> > compatibility with other common contact formats. In my view
> > this should be Portable Contacts which inherently provides
> > compatibility to the vCard format (both of which include
> > 'birthday' as an attribute).
> >
> > When the scope of ContactProperties is decided, 'birthday'
> > will become a part of this object. If that set is modelled on
> > Portable Contacts this properties will be available along
> > with a host of other vCard and OpenSocial properties.
> >
> > Use Case 7 should remain and must be satisfied before
> > publication of the spec. Once we have a richer set of
> > ContactProperties we can get in to the issue of
> > Lunar/Gregorian calendar support for the birthday property in
> >more detail (which I understand is the related question here).
> >

> I am not against including a "birthday" attribute to the
> contact properties; however, I'd be very cautious if we are
> re-opening the discussion that goes against the current
> approach of having a "common subset" due to the technical
> implications and interoperability concerns. It needs a wider
> discussion I think.

Right.

Use Case 7 is indicative of the wider issue of what that subset of ContactProperties should be.

We either need to satisfy this use case through support of a larger subset or remove this use case as out of scope.

For now I propose to leave it in and discuss the options further in the coming weeks.

Right now we are yo-yoing between the existing subset and a Portable Contacts/vCard compatible set. I'd be interested to get some thoughts (perhaps from the chairs) on how this issue should be resolved.

- Richard