Re: New draft of FileWriter API posted

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for posting this.  Some questions:
>> > 1-  What is the proposed way to get a FileWriter from an <INPUT
>> > type="saveas"> element?
>>
>> I was thinking of something like:
>>
>> var writer = document.forms['downloadData']['fileChooser'].fileWriter;
>>
>> If we make it parallel to the file reader API, that would be an array
>> rather than a single FileWriter, but it's not clear to me that you'll
>> ever actually want to browse for more than one save location in a
>> single operation.
>
> Hi Eric,
> I've come up with another question...how do you plan about how to obtain a
> FileWriterSync instance in a worker context?

That's a good question.  I'd mainly put the sync API in there to
support uses from the FileSystem API [I haven't posted the full spec
yet, but the basic idea is at [1]].

> As for obtaining a FileWriter in a worker context, probably what user should
> do is get an instance from the document's SaveAs input element and send it
> to the worker by calling postMessage()?

That seems quite reasonable.  At that point it might also make sense
to be able to create a FileWriterSync from a FileWriter, if you're a
worker.  I'll try to think of a clean way to do that.

We'll probably want to invalidate the FileWriter passed in this
manner, though, to keep the same underlying file handle from being
used in multiple places at once.
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jan/0229.html