RE: [contacts] Removal of serviceId from API

Hi Suresh,

Le mercredi 23 juin 2010 à 11:22 -0500, Suresh Chitturi a écrit :
> You make some good points, but I’m still not convinced that we should
> remove it from the spec. It has to exist at some place in the spec to
> link your web app to defined service-based contacts list.
>
> As a user, there are use cases that show that user would like to
> view/search for just the device contacts, or xxx service contacts. So
> the source is important to capture in the API. This is available in
> the implementations today so why not expose it to the developer.

I think there are two points to consider:
* whether serviceId is the right way to make that information available
— I'm fairly sure it isn't, and that we would need an AddressBook
interface to do that sufficiently well
* whether that feature needs to be part in the v1 of the spec — I
personally think that while the use cases that require source-awareness
might be interesting, it's more important to finish a first version of
the spec that is already useful without that source-awareness than
getting bogged into the potentially difficult details of that aspect;
that's obviously a judgment call

(ISSUE-53)

Dom