Re: Why aren't most devices virtual web services?

On Jan 14, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, John Kemp wrote:
>>
>> We are designing Javascript APIs here. Those APIs involve making
>> Javascript calls.
>
> Is this a requirement? If so, why? It seems like if it makes more sense to
> expose something as a RESTful API exposed with a custom scheme handled
> natively by the UA, then we should do that, rather than expose things as a
> JavaScript API.

I think what likely makes most sense is what Kenton suggested earlier - a WebIDL binding for RESTful services. That way we should get equivalence between the JS API and the RESTful model without having to specify entirely separate ways (or a new way) of doing things.

Regards,

- johnk