Re: CPU API (Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review)

On 05/01/2010 17:25, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> A few comments:
>
> - What's our use case for inquiring about CPU frequency?

Like for Power, it's a question of whether you're interested in
individual hardware CPUs, or whether you only care about the global
load. See my previous email.

> - What's our use case for *setting* CPU frequency from a Web
> application?

To be able to throttle the CPU, like those applications that allow you
to select between "conservative", "performance", "power saving" profiles.

> - CPU load (and detailed power consumption along with it) can be a
> data leak.  I'd like the spec to be clear that this value will
> generally be an average taken over time,

That's up to the implementation to decide I would expect. Or we would
have to specify how to sample battery levels, ambient temperature. It's
like blurring the picture of a contact in the Contact API, in a way.

  and I'd like the spec to
> caution against just making this information available.

I'm happy to add whatever text will come out of the Policy work.

Max.