Re: What does it all hang off of?

From: Paddy Byers <paddy.byers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:03:47 +0100
To: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Cc: ext Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "Kapyaho Jere (Nokia-D/Tampere)" <Jere.Kapyaho@nokia.com>, "Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com" <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>, "stewart.brodie@antplc.com" <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi,

Isn't this an opportunity to fix this so for the future the new APIs aren't
> in an illogical place? What is the pragmatic issue with doing what Jere
> suggests?

+1 for APIs hanging off a single place, as in Robin's original option (4),
as a matter of convention.

+1 for the place being "device".

I assume the intention is to create APIs that can be used in multiple
situations where ECMAScript executes, such as in SVG documents or other
contexts, where a navigator object is not conventionally present.

I suppose also there were similar arguments made for the creation of
"widget" in the Widgets APIs and Events spec [0].

Paddy

[0]: http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-apis/