Re: Overlap between WebApps and Device APIs WG on file operations

On May 13, 2009, at 19:17 , Marcin Hanclik wrote:
> There is currently also a different model for collection handling
> between BONDI specs and W3C specs.
> All BONDI specs create Arrays based on WebIDL's sequence<T> for
> collections, whereas File Upload and e.g. WebStorage create specific
> list interface with item() method(s).

This isn't a general difference, it's largely historical and concerns
specs that were defined before WebIDL was. I wouldn't be surprised if
FU were changed to use sequence<> as well.

> I think that both specs have to be kept separately, whereas we could
> foresee that e.g. FileUpload could be based on FileSystem API, since
> FS API is richer for the overlapping interfaces (read-write vs. read-
> only). Alternatively the overlapping parts could be moved into
> another (sub)spec.

I'm pretty sure that the two groups can work together on this. We
probably don't even need a TF for it. As far as the charter is
concerned I'd put something along the lines of "collaborating to make
sure the file-related APIs are synchronised" — I think it ought to be
enough.

> Definitely we should avoid name clashes, i.e. if both specs would
> define something called now "File" interface, one of them should
> change the name of that interface in case there is no agreement to
> merge or clearly relate those specs.

Not that I foresee that happening but if we get to a place where we
have clashes and no agreement to resolve them we have a very serious
issue. I would expect this to be solved long before it gets there.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/