Re: Editing specifications with ReSpec.js

richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:

>> people to
>> idea. The ED
>> ED and the
>>>>
>>> OK. Early and often is good and I agree automated snapshots will be
>>> difficult initially.
>>>
>>> Perhaps then ReSpec.js could check the browser environment on
>>> initialisation. If it fails whatever we need (e.g. it's not a
>>> supported/tested browser or e.g., Javascript is currently disabled)
>>> then it would leave a big red div at the top of the page
>> stating that
>>> 'this page is not rendering correctly...' and possibly why e.g.
>>> 'you're using
>>> IE6 and we only support these browser + versions...' or 'you must
>>> enable javascript'.
>>>
>>> Could be useful. Obviously, any snapshots generated and
>> this info gets
>>> removed (assuming the snapshots are created from a suitable
>> browser).
>>> I'm happy to add and play about with this in the ReSpec.js
>> if it's of
>>> interest.
>> Although useful, I don't think this is necessary. The CVS
>> server can be configured to always serve the "cooked" version
>> of the spec. This is how we work in Web Apps (raw=
>> Overview.src.html, cooked = Overview.html). It is very rare
>> the anyone but the editor sees the "raw" version of a spec
>> (no pun intended).
>
> This was primarilly intended for Early drafts and/or Editor's drafts,
> which as I understood, Robin did not want to snapshot (or "cook") before
> display to the DAP working group.
>
> If we are always serving the cooked versions of Early Drafts and/or
> Editor's drafts then forget this suggestion :-)

Yeah, only cooked version should ever be served. It gives editors a
little bit of freedom too, as it allows them to check in raw drafts
behind the scenes without spell-checking, or having completely finished
parts, etc. without having to worry that people are reading those raw
drafts.

Kind regards,
Marcos