RE: Editing specifications with ReSpec.js

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:57 PM,
> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Such is the internet!

> >> the specs
> >>
> >> You mean Editor's Drafts too? I think that would encourage
> people to
> >> not commit as often as they should, which is IMHO a bad
> idea. The ED
> >> drafts are mostly to help the WG work and communicate with its
> >> community. Whenever there's a big difference between the
> ED and the
> >> latest published WD a new publication should be made in order to
> >> reach a wider audience (you know, publish early, publish often ;).
> >>

> > OK. Early and often is good and I agree automated snapshots will be
> > difficult initially.
> >
> > Perhaps then ReSpec.js could check the browser environment on
> > initialisation. If it fails whatever we need (e.g. it's not a
> > supported/tested browser or e.g., Javascript is currently disabled)
> > then it would leave a big red div at the top of the page
> stating that
> > 'this page is not rendering correctly...' and possibly why e.g.
> > 'you're using
> > IE6 and we only support these browser + versions...' or 'you must
> > enable javascript'.
> >
> > Could be useful. Obviously, any snapshots generated and
> this info gets
> > removed (assuming the snapshots are created from a suitable
> browser).
> >
> > I'm happy to add and play about with this in the ReSpec.js
> if it's of
> > interest.
>
> Although useful, I don't think this is necessary. The CVS
> server can be configured to always serve the "cooked" version
> of the spec. This is how we work in Web Apps (raw=
> Overview.src.html, cooked = Overview.html). It is very rare
> the anyone but the editor sees the "raw" version of a spec
> (no pun intended).

This was primarilly intended for Early drafts and/or Editor's drafts,
which as I understood, Robin did not want to snapshot (or "cook") before
display to the DAP working group.

If we are always serving the cooked versions of Early Drafts and/or
Editor's drafts then forget this suggestion :-)