Re: [Public WebGL] WebGLTF: Proposal for a WebGL transmission format

Very interesting. They also have a structured (JSON) and unstructured part (Binary container).
Simular to our split (we have DOM/external binary resources).
We also played with the idea to put all the data for a single mesh into a single resource but rejected it at the end.
(e.g html 1.1 partial request do not solve the problem and we also could not address a single property as extra resource)

best regards
johannes

> Hi,
>
> COLLADA working group proposes a  WebGL transmission format.
>
> Best,
>   Kristian
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff:	[Public WebGL] Proposal for a WebGL JSON format
> Datum:	Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:50:25 -0700
> Von:	Fabrice Robinet <fabricerobinet@me.com>
> An:	public_webgl@khronos.org <public_webgl@khronos.org>
>
> resent with fixed url for meet up.
>
> Dear WebGL group,
>
> I'd like to share with you a work in progress to define a JSON format for WebGL.
> This initiative was initially started from the COLLADA working group.
> It aims to be response to developers expectations to get 3D assets seamlessly on the web.
> This is an entirely new format that stands at the end in the asset pipeline, it can be generated from COLLADA but it is not tied to it.
>
> This format reuses as much as possible existing concepts (like using typed arrays for binary blobs ) and be javascript friendly with JSON. It also takes advantage of a few concepts  inherited from COLLADA that proved to be successful.
>
> There are already many JSON formats out there, so why another one ?
> One implicit goal of this project is to gather all the great ideas from the community and focus on the particular goal of getting a JSON format usable for many developers. But obviously a single format cannot be convenient for everyone,  for those (many) who want a delivery format ready for rendering, this effort is the way to go, for those who want to edit/remodel 3d assets and keep most informations then COLLADA would be better suited.
>
> General presentation of the top level project:
> https://github.com/fabrobinet/collada2json/
>
> More insights about the format (work in progress):
> https://github.com/fabrobinet/collada2json/wiki/WebGLTF
>
> Last but not least, I'll be presenting the format at this meet-up:
> http://www.meetup.com/WebGL-Developers-Meetup/events/82234862/
> I'll show there some demos that will be online shortly.
>
> All feedback is very welcome,
>
> Thank you,
> Fabrice.

---
Dr. Johannes Behr
Head of Department: Visual Computing System Technologies
Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-510  |  Fax +49 6151 155-196
johannes.behr@igd.fraunhofer.de  |  www.igd.fraunhofer.de