RE: Device Description definition

IMHO, it is the compound instance of the [{packaged hardware} and {installed software}] which is being used to request or receive the current instance of the data, which should be the object of the description.

This means an implicit hierarchy, since there are (at a guess) fewer ways of combining hardware than software, so it makes sense to take those first. Especially if certain instances of combinations can be given an identifier (e.g. a model name). If the mechanism is generic and can handle the concievable permutations, I see no reason why we should actually do so - just let whomever is putting up the description be responsible for the named instance, and never mind if the bundle of [{intel processor} and {seagate hard disk} and {samsung RAM} and {sharp LCD] is an hp, a lenovo, or whatever. The important thing is to be able to represent the adequate granularity and the relevant parameters, and enable the unambigous naming of this combination (the fact that there may not be any distinguishng factors except the design of the box, well, that is another matter).

I also want to re-make the point about user agent and software that I made just before:

I am not sure how the user agent could not be known. The data which has to be adapted is either requested by an entity (in the device) and sent in response to a request, or pushed to an entity (in the device) as a result of a previous session setup. That entity is the "user agent" in this context (note that it does not have to represent anything to a user, e.g. in the case of a B2BUA in a SIP system, or to take a less complex example, a GSM telematics module, which is very useful to query and communicate with, but does not have a user interface as such). So when you are addressing data to something using a protocol, the receiver would be the user agent, and the only case when it could not be known is when you are transmitting the information without a prior association (i.e. a broadcast - in all other cases, the data has to be preceeded either by a query or by an invitation). Perhaps we are being misled by an implicit assumption that there is only one user agent per protocol stack.

Then of course, the user agent and the device can change _during_  the course of the interaction, but that is another (even more interesting) discussion.

My 2 cents, and apologies if I reiterate the obvious.

//Johan