Re: shapes-ISSUE-220 (what is a shape): defining shapes in a shapes graph [SHACL - Core]

Holger,

What issues do you see with the following definition of a shape?

The shapes of an RDF graph G are those nodes in G with SHACL or expected type <https://jimkont.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/core.html#dfn-expected-types> sh:Shape in G

RDF terms have zero or more expected types in an RDF graph. Each expected type for an RDF term in an RDF graph G is the result of the RDF term being the  object  of an RDF triple in G with a particular predicate as described below:

If s is the object of an RDF triple in an RDF graph G with predicate sh:shape, sh:not, or sh:qualifiedValueShape then s has **expected type** sh:Shape in G.
If s is a member of a SHACL list in an RDF graph G that is the object of an RDF triple in G with predicate sh:and, sh:or or sh:xor then s has **expected type** sh:Shape in G.
If s is the object of an RDF triple in an RDF graph G with predicate sh:property then s has **expected type** sh:PropertyShape and **expected type** sh:Shape in G.

The idea here is that when a shape is an IRI, there is no reason why its type should not be declared explicitly. Thus, saying “a node with SHACL type sh:Shape” works in this case.

However, when a shape is a blank node that is described “in-line” as part of another shape, we don’t need to require such explicit typing. Instead, we could use the “expected type”.

Are you concerned that this is too strict of a definition that may create issues for some user defined constraint components?

Irene