shapes-ISSUE-223 (Shapes mismatching type): Should we disallow shapes with mismatching type [SHACL - Core]

From: RDF Data Shapes Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 06:12:33 +0000
To: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
shapes-ISSUE-223 (Shapes mismatching type): Should we disallow shapes with mismatching type [SHACL - Core]

http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/track/issues/223

Raised by: Holger Knublauch
On product: SHACL - Core

See https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-shapes/2017Feb/0001.html it was pointed out that cases like

 ex:s1 rdf:type sh:NodeShape ;
    sh:targetClass ex:Person ;
    sh:path ex:child ;
    sh:nodeKind sh:IRI .

can be confusing to users because it's really a property shape despite having sh:NodeShape as type.

While this is an artificially constructed example, a reasonable addition would be to add two syntax rules:

a) SHACL instances of sh:NodeShape cannot have values for sh:path
b) SHACL instances of sh:PropertyShape must have a value for sh:path

making such cases ill-formed shapes.