Re: shapes-ISSUE-181: SHACL conformance for partial validation reports [SHACL Spec]

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 9/29/16 5:14 PM, Holger Knublauch wrote:

>>> which are sh:focusNode and sh:severity - which is a bit awkward since
>>> the focus node (isn't that "target node" now?) doesn't tell you what
>>> constraints were evaluated.
>>>

>> Yes, we need to clarify the mandatory fields (see your recent ticket).
>>

> I would put them first in the section, followed by the "MAY" properties,
> rather than mixing them. Just a bit of readability assist.
>

>> There is a subtle difference between focus node and target node:
>> - the focus node is the currently evaluated node
>> - the target node is a node specified as target by a shape
>> - target nodes becomes focus nodes for the duration of the validation
>> - but there are other ways for nodes to become focus nodes, e.g. via
>> sh:shape
>>

> That makes sense, but it wasn't clear to me which was being referred to on
> reading that section. Oddly, the term "focus node" is not described in the
> section on validation (3.0-3.3), which however is where the focus node IS
> what is being validated. I suspect that at least some of the references to
> "node" there should instead be "focus node". E.g. in the first sentence:
>
> "The definitions for validating a data graph against a shapes graph as
> well as a *node* from the data graph against a shape from the shapes graph
> are provided below"
>
> Is that *node* a focus node? If so, it should say focus node there and in
> the remainder of that section. Then, 3.4.1 Focus node will make more sense.

I reverted some of Holger's changes here wrt node->focus node

Focus node is defined in the terminology as: "A node in the data graph that
is validated against a shape is called a focus node."

in the begining of section 4 (validation definitions) we want to say how to
validate a node against a shape, as requested by the ShEx requirements
meaning we take a node from the data graph and validate against a shape
fromt he shapes graph, when the validation occus, that node becomes a focus
node but the intent was to define the action prior to validation.

--
Dimitris Kontokostas
Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig & DBpedia Association