From:   Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
To:     "public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org" <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Date:   09/29/2016 01:40 AM
Subject:        Re: About WG process Re: the role of
public-rdf-shapes@w3.org

WG members,

I think this is alarming:

> The worst result of the RDF Data Shapes Working Group, from a W3C
viewpoint
> and probably from the viewpoint of users of the Semantic Web, is a W3C
> Recommendation on SHACL that is full of problems.  The second-worst
result of
> the RDF Data Shapes Working Group, from a W3C viewpoint and probably
from the
> viewpoint of users of the Semantic Web, is a W3C Candidate
Recommendation on
> SHACL that is full of problems and does not progress to recommendation.
>
> What is going to make these undesirable results most likely is not
adequately
> addressing comments that the working group receives on its working
drafts.  If
> the working group does not have the resources to consider and respond to
such
> comments it should just quit now.

I interpret this as saying "better no SHACL at all than a SHACL 'full of
problems'". Of course, the definition of 'full of problems' is subject
to personal opinion and preferences, and some people have different
tolerance to fuzziness than others, and some people see problems where
others don't. While I agree that some issues that have been pointed out
were indeed problems that needed to be fixed, others are in my personal
opinion rather editorial. In fact I believe only two technical changes
were made so far based on the recent comments - adding DISTINCT to some
SPARQL queries and the removal of the shapesGraph argument from
sh:hasShape. The other suggestions merely lead to editorial
clarifications. And on some reported issues, it is perfectly valid to
have diverging opinions. The person reporting an issue is not
automatically "right".

I believe SHACL fills an important gap in the semantic technology
landscape. Some people may theoretically see SHACL as an unwelcome
competition to the established technologies that they have worked with
in the past. While I hope this isn't happening, and I am not claiming
this is happening here, the WG should IMHO stay alert to this
possibility, and that the rules of the formal W3C process may be used
against us.

Holger

PS: Thanks, Karen, for starting the page to track the comments. I may
have more time next week to continue looking into them.