Re: Decomposing shapes

On 14/10/2016 16:30, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
> Another option to minimise the changes in the model is to introduce
> something like
> sh:ShapeWithTarget that is a subclass of sh:Shape and leave the rest as is
>
> or, of course, continue with the current design but try to explain
> better the role of targets in different shape contexts
>
> I am only raising an issue that was brought up and needs some attention.
> I also think it is confusing to understand this because I am having
> trouble explaining it in a concise & simple way :)

I agree. I believe we should try and work on the explanation part before
jumping to the conclusions that the SHACL language itself needs to be
changed. Maybe we need to more explicitly spell out that the target
mechanism is only used for the operation that validates all shapes in a
given shapes graph, and to determine the shapes that apply to a given
node. The current flow introduces the necessary concepts in the
beginning of section 3 only, and this is apparently too late because
terms like focus node are already used earlier. It is just really hard
to put this into a right sequence of words, and I welcome input from
other WG members. This could well be a topic for the F2F brainstorming.

Holger