Re: Simplification of scopes section (see also ISSUE-148)

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 13:00:11 -0700
To: Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Cc: Dimitris Kontokostas <kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, public-data-shapes-wg <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
That may be what one interprets from the current spec, but it doesn't
preclude us from considering the logic that I proposed, which is that a
shape's scope is the data graph unless further scoping is defined.
Obviously, this makes more sense to me than requiring a scope. Also, we
do not at this point have a scope defined that would represent the
entire data graph. How would I work with a set of triples with no
defined classes and of which I could not know a priori the identity of a
node?

I know this seems outlandish, but I'm thinking of the possibility of
operating on received data that you need to investigate to see what
state it is in. One role for validation is to analyze data sources that
don't present with sufficient rigor or with pre-defined documentation.
Some validation programs are going to have to work with unknowns and
with bad data. This is one of the functions of validation in the
massively shared cultural heritage community. One needs to be able to
get some information out of data graphs that don't conform to
expectations. It seems to me that being able to do some checking on the
data graph as a whole could have value. (But I'll also check with my
peeps about this and get back to this list.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net