Issue 93

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:52:48 -0700
To: "public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org" <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
I agree with Harold that the wording in the draft tends to confound the
validation description language and the rules for implementing the
validation. Even in the introduction, it says:

"SHACL (Shapes Constraint Language) is a language for describing and
constraining RDF graphs."

Which I think could be more clearly stated as:

"SHACL is a language for describing constraints on RDF graphs, and a set
of rules for applying those constraints to RDF instance data."

(Except "applying" isn't right, because it's really a test, the instance
data isn't modified, so...)

"SHACL is a language for describing constraints on RDF graphs, and a set
of rules for *comparing* those constraints to RDF instance data."
or
"SHACL is a language for describing constraints on RDF graphs, and a set
of rules for testing the conformance of RDF instance data to those
constraints."

Or something to that effect. The language itself doesn't do any
constraining, and the "engine" doesn't do any describing, so we clearly
have (at least) two different things.

Arnaud suggested [1] that we not talk about engines at all. I need to
think more about that, but would "rules" meet the definition of "not an
engine"? If so, I could try to at least identify the areas of the spec
that need modification, and could suggest wording changes to Dimitris
and Holger. That assumes that in the investigation of the wording a
deeper problem isn't found between the concepts.

kc
[1]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2015Sep/0228.html

--