Re: shapes-ISSUE-130 (rdf dataset assumption): SHACL should not assume that the data graph is in an RDF dataset [SHACL Spec]

On 18/03/2016 9:23, Tom Johnson wrote:
> This brings us back to a week ago up-thread:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2016Mar/0082.html
>

> Per this comment, I don't think this is a purely conceptual problem.
> If a dataset is a Fundamental concept that can't be ignored in
> defining SHACL, no problem. I'm somewhat skeptical of this, but I
> agree with all your points that this isn't a hard implementation, it's
> easily supported in all major existing RDF environments, etc...
>
> The problem I see exists closer to the SHACL language. When authoring
> a shapes graph, how can I ensure that I will be able to run it against
> the data graphs of my choice?

I don't see the connection. Shapes graphs are typically authored
independently of any specific data graph. The SHACL engine is invoked
with certain parameters. These would be
- dataset
- IRI of data graph (or empty) for default graph in the dataset
- shapes graph (hopefully in the same dataset)

How these parameters are collected before the engine is invoked is
outside of the spec. Some applications may look at sh:shapesGraph
triples in the data graph, others may have the shapes graph hard-coded.

Holger