Re: recursion in SHACL

Thank you for catching that Peter.
Since issue 22 is still open I only added issue warning whenever recursion
is mentioned in the spec.
The updates are not online yet but you may look at the diff here
https://github.com/w3c/data-shapes/commits/editorial-dk

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2015 the working group approved the resolution
>
> RESOLUTION: The starting point for recursion in SHACL is that shapes graphs
> with dependency loops are invalid, suitable limitations of this will be
> explored  https://www.w3.org/2015/12/16-shapes-minutes.html#resolution04
>
> The SHACL document currently says
>
> A shape may refer to itself directly or indirectly via sh:valueShape,
> sh:filterShape, etc. Such a shape is said to be recursive. The meaning of
> non-recursive shapes is always well-founded. In contrast, the meaning of a
> recursive shape may not be well-founded. As a starting point, the SHACL
> specification only defines the meaning of non-recursive shapes. However,
> there
> are use-cases where recursion is valuable, either for its inherent
> expressive
> power or because it makes the intension of shapes clearer. The Working
> Group
> will therefore explore conditions under which recursive shapes can be
> assigned
> a well-defined meaning and will relax the restrictions on recursion
> accordingly.
>
> This paragraph does not match with the resolution.

Dimitris Kontokostas
Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig & DBpedia Association
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://rdfunit.aksw.org, http://
http://aligned-project.eu
Homepage:http://aksw.org/DimitrisKontokostas
Research Group: AKSW/KILT http://aksw.org/Groups/KILT