Re: Selected problems with Proposal 4

Thanks for your prompt responses. It would be great if we could get
through this topic as soon as we can.

> Here are responses to some of the points that Holder makes.
>
> peter
>

> 2/ The current SHACL syntax does not nicely handle some common examples.
>
> Consider a shape limiting a person's guru to be both a person and a
> preacher.  The Simplest current Way of doing this is something like
>    ex:foo a sh:Shape ;
>     sh:property [ sh:predicate ex:guru ;
>               sh:class ex:Person ] ;
>     sh:property [ sh:predicate ex:guru ;
>               sh:class ex:Preacher ] .
> In my proposal this would be
>    ex:foo a sh:Shape ;
>     sh:property ( ex:guru [ sh:class ex:Person; sh:class ex:Preacher ] ) .
> The current syntax results in shapes that are harder to analyze by tools.

No, the tools will have to do even more work in your case, because there
are more syntax variations to express the same thing (in your approach,
multiple fillers may exist, but also sh:and and now multiple sh:class
directly).

Furthermore, it is trivial to pick certain cases to support your case.
We need to look at the big picture, and many different examples. I would
consider the case of "Person and teacher" to be not very common, but
others will of course disagree and make the claim it's critical. So how
would anyone decide that? It will always be subjective.

> Consider a shape limiting the form of a SSN.  Right now this requires
> something like
>    ex:foo a sh:Shape ;
>     sh:property [ sh:predicate ex:guru ;
>               sh:pattern "[0-9]*" ] .
> My proposal is very similar
>    ex:foo a sh:Shape ;
>     sh:property ( ex:guru [ sh:pattern "[0-9]*" ] ) .
> However, to figure out what is going on in the current syntax requires
> looking for the flags property, also not so simple for tools.

(I thought you had "sh:fillers". Did this change already?)

I think your proposed handling of flags is unusable. You suggest a
completely different (list) syntax if flags are present compared to if
only the pattern exists.

> 5/ Merging constraints and shapes does not limit the places where severity
> and other information can be attached.

Let's look at an example. Here is the current syntax:

ex:MyShape a sh:Shape ;
     sh:scopeClass ex:MyClass ;
     sh:constraint [
         sh:closed true ;
         sh:severity sh:Warning ;
         rdfs:comment "Note that this is just a warning" ;
     ] ;
     sh:constraint [
         sh:or ( ... ) ;
     ] .

How does this look like in your syntax?

> 9,10/ I agree that paths add a lot of complication both for implementing
> constraints and for other toos.  I added them to see how complex they would
> be.  The proposal does not depend on paths.  I will indicate where the
> changes would be.

I think you should decide one way or another, it becomes too fuzzy
otherwise.

> 11/ Even though RDF requires that subjects of triples are not literals,
> there is no reason to forbid literal-only constructs in places where
> literals can not appear.  For conforming RDF graphs these will always be
> false but for extended RDF graphs they will do the right thing.  SPARQL
> itself permits literals as the subject of triple patterns so that it will
> work well with extended RDF graphs.

I thought we were discussing about real-world RDF, not some theoretical
constructs. It is invalid to have literals as subjects. The language
should help users avoid such silly mistakes. Proposal 3 supports this as
part of the metamodel, while Proposal 4 just glances over this useful
feature.

But beside sh:minInclusive, how would sh:minCount work for a stand-alone
shape? And please provide a (single) SPARQL query to back its
implementation, because that's another thing that your approach claims.

> 12/ If a construct like sh:minCount needs to know whether it is in the
> object of a sh:property or an sh:inverseProperty, then that is problematic
> in the current situation.  How is it to know?

I have explained this for ISSUE-134:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2016Mar/0126.html

How does your approach handle this?

> 13/ In sh:fillers ( ex:property [ sh:minCount 1 ] ), the sh:minCount does
> work alone, without knowledge about its context.  All that it is saying that
> there is at least one of whatever.  If an implementation needs to know about
> the context then that is something to be fixed or worked around.

What is "one of whatever"? Please provide a (single) SPARQL query that
implements this.

> 17/ Optional parameters complicate matters no matter how they are set up.
> Putting the parameters together requires unpacking them.  Having two
> properties requires finding them both.

What matters is that your design has made this situation by orders of
magnitude worse. This was not an improvement but a leap backwards.

> 19,20/ These appear to be implementation issues.

This is not an acceptable response.

Again, you claimed that your approach has improved usability and the
metamodel. None of this is the case here. You have added unnecessary
dependencies on the shapesGraph and made every SPARQL query slower and
much more verbose. Users will not be happy about this (unnecessary)
change. This problem was already solved in Proposal 3.

> 22/ I believe that Arthur was against using metaclasses in the metamodel,
> i.e., that a template was a metaclass and a constraint was a class.  In this
> proposal templates are classes, not a metaclass.  Templates are also
> properties, so the IRI of the template can be directly used in shapes.  This
> has the added benefit of tieing the template property to the template.  In
> the current setup instead separate bits of the template are required to
> state which properties carry its meaning.  This has a problem if two
> templates use the same properties.  Which template is to be used then?

If multiple templates use the same property, then all of them will be
executed. Sharing of properties is a natural thing in RDF, and your
approach prohibits this common practice (this should have been issue 28).

> 23/ I do not limit Functions to a single argument.  The information passed
> in is the list of the arguments, which can be split up in the SPARQL code.

You have not responded to my point. Your approach does not work at all.
It is not possible to dynamically create the triples for such a list.
And what would be the advantage of doing that?! You are trying to put a
square peg into a round hole only to keep the single-property philosophy
alive.

> 25/ I am not using list positions to "encode logic".  I am using list
> positions for syntax, so as to make the syntax more compact.  Even most
> logics uses list positions in their syntax.  If compactness is not a
> desirable feature then changing to a object-like syntax is simple.

I had shown that the list syntax is not simpler at all, e.g. in JSON-LD.
Neither is it transparent to users nor efficient for machines. If you
switch to an object-like syntax (please do!) then you basically end up
with the current syntax.

> 26/ Conceptually an expression like sh:minCount does not need to work on a
> focus node + path combination.  All that it really needs to know is the
> fillers of the path so that it can count them.

I cannot follow here. What are the fillers of the path here:

ex:MyShape
     a sh:Shape ;
     sh:scopeClass ex:Person ;
     sh:minCount 1 .