Re: Selected problems with Proposal 4

On 3/10/16 3:10 AM, Holger Knublauch wrote:
> 1) Proposal 4 is poorly motivated. As Peter stated himself, he started
> this effort to simplify the metamodel. He made changes to the end-user
> visible syntax in order to "simplify" the metamodel. However, there was
> no problem with the end-user visible syntax to begin with. There was no
> need to change it, and the new syntax is a step backwards. The metamodel
> is far less important than the user-facing syntax.

Simplifing the model is a valid motivation. Otherwise we wouldn't have
suggested to have a ShEx user interface. As that interface may not be
forthcoming, it would be preferable to have SHACL be easily
understandable. Otherwise it can only be easily used with a UI on top of
it, and that limits its use to those who have access to an application
with an interface. I think that would be the death of SHACL.