Re: issue-95 metamodel simplifications

On 5/03/2016 0:45, Jim Amsden wrote:
> As a new-comer, who is quite familiar with the well practiced
> ResourceShapes 2.0, I don't personally find the current metamodel that
> complex, or the SHACL syntax that difficult to read and understand.
> Rather I'm having more trouble understanding the simplifications. But
> its a lot to digest.

I would have no problems whatsoever with keeping the current metamodel.
However, some people in the WG didn't like the use of Abstract
superclasses, which caused me to work on alternative designs.

> Perhaps focusing on  the business case for SHACL: the capabilities and
> value propositions that are derived from the use cases; we can assess
> what we have as a deliverable to a community in a time horizon, and
> its ability to produce a desired outcome. That might yield better
> results than worrying too much about the metamodel or even the syntax.

I believe the requirements are well understood at this stage, and that
we are basically comparing variations in the syntax. However, the longer
we delay syntax decisions (or even worse, come up with yet another
syntax in draft 3), the less time for community feedback we will get. I
believe there needs to be very strong arguments in favor of syntax
changes at this stage, or we miss the boat completely.

Holger