From:   Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
To:     "public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org" <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Date:   03/02/2016 09:36 PM
Subject:        Re: issue-95 metamodel simplifications

Some serious problems with this proposal:

- it would set us back to somewhere mid-2015; all specs, examples,
tests, implementations, user experiments etc will need to be rewritten
or discarded, nobody has any experience of how well this approach would
work.

- the extension mechanism has disappeared, this only covers the current
snapshot of the core language.

- the syntax is not simpler at all IMHO. A comprehensive study on users
would be needed to evaluate which syntax is better.

All of the above are show stoppers from my perspective. And a closer
look will probably reveal more issues. I would find it very unfortunate
if this sets us back by months, with endless discussions. Neither do I
understand what problem this is supposed to solve. I see no need to
challenge everything based on what basically amounts to personal taste
about the syntax. The current design has reached a certain level of
maturity, and instead of reopening all of that I think we really need to
iron out the remaining details and then swiftly take the next step and
work on test cases etc.

>                A modest proposal for a revamped SHACL syntax
>
> This proposal rearranges the SHACL constructs, collapsing constraints
and
> shapes into one construct.  The result is a more regular SHACL syntax
with a
> simpler metamodel.  A few constructs become a bit more verbose.
>
> Syntax
>
> The main SHACL construct is a shape (sh:Shape).  Shapes have zero or
more
> scopes (triples with the shape as subject and sh:scopeNode,
sh:scopeClass,
> sh:scopePropertyObject, or sh:scopePropertySubject as the predicate),
zero
> or more filters (values of sh:filter) which are themselves shapes, one
or
> more components (triples with the shape as subject and one of the
component
> properties as property, including associated triples as necessary), and
can
> be closed (sh:closed value true, zero or more fillers of
> sh:ignoredProperty).
>
> Note:  The shape components might be called constraints.  I didn't use
> constraint so as not to cause confusion with the current constraints in
SHACL.

;
>                                sh:shape [ a sh:Shape; sh:minCount 1 ] ]
] ;
>   sh:fillers [
>     sh:path child ;
>     [ a sh:Shape ;
>       sh:filter [ a sh:Shape ;
>                                                 sh:fillers [ sh:path
gender;
>                                                      sh:shape [ a
sh:Shape; sh:in ( ex:male ) ] ] ] ;
>       sh:class ex:Professional ] ] ] .
>
> sh:SJG is satisfied on a graph if all instances of ex:Person (the scope)
and
> have ex:female as gender (the first filter) and have at least one
grandchild
> (the second filter) have all their male children be instances of
> ex:Professional.
>

> Semantics (ignoring recursion)
>
> A graph satisfies a shape if the set of nodes of the graph selected by
any
> scope of the shape satisfies the shape.  A sh:scopeNode filler selects
that
> node.  A sh:scopeClass filler selects each node in the graph that is an
> instance of the class.  A sh:scopePropertyObject filler selects each
node in
> the graph that is an object for that property.  A
sh:scopePropertySubject