Re: shapes-ISSUE-172 (sh:nodeKind SPARQL definition): the sh:nodeKind SPARQL definition is unnecessarily complex [SHACL Spec]

Peter,
do you have a different definition we could use?
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies -
IBM Cloud

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on 06/29/2016
11:50:11 AM:

> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> To: kcoyle@kcoyle.net, public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
> Date: 06/29/2016 11:51 AM
> Subject: Re: shapes-ISSUE-172 (sh:nodeKind SPARQL definition): the
> sh:nodeKind  SPARQL definition is unnecessarily complex [SHACL Spec]
>
> >From Section 1.5 "Relationship between SHACL and SPARQL" of the SHACL
> specification, http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/#shacl-sparql
>
> **********
> This specification uses parts of SPARQL 1.1 in the normative definition
of the
> semantics of the SHACL Core constraints and scopes. However, SPARQL is
not
> required for the implementation of the SHACL Core language.
>
> SPARQL variables using $ marker represent external values that must be
> pre-bound in the SPARQL query before execution.
> **********
>
> So, although it may not be necessary to understand SPARQL to use thecore
part
> of SHACL, SPARQL is used to provide the normative definition of parts of
> SHACL.  This was a working group decision of quite some time ago.  It
doesn't
> mean that core SHACL implementations need to be SPARQL implementations,
just
> that the behaviour of SHACL is given in part by some bits of SPARQL.
>
> So in particular, parameterized SPARQL queries provide the meaning of
the
> SHACL core constraint components.  ISSUE-170 is about a problem in
SPARQL that
> affects the meaning of queries that provide the meaning of many of the
SHACL